Razors have come a long way in the last century. For a long time, the straight razor was the one and only choice available, but that changed with the introduction of safety razors. Soon after electric razors, shavette, cartridge razors and disposable razors were introduced.
Disposable razors are the solution to men who want a cheap and easy to use and replace alternative. Disposables are meant for a short-term use and then to be thrown away. While the cartridge razor is quite similar in style, the handles on those razors are meant to be kept while disposable razors are meant to be tossed out completely.
What is a Disposable Razor
A disposable razor are basic razors meant for single-use or few uses before being discarded. They are cheap and usually not greatly made, but when you only use it for a short time period, you do not need it the handle or blade to be durable and long lasting. They are mostly constructed from inexpensive materials. This makes it cheaper for the consumer and less valuable thus making the disposing part a little less stressful.
Disposable razors were invented 1963 by an American entertainer and inventor Paul Winchell. They have grown in popularity in places like United States, where going for convenience is key.
Advantages of a Disposable Razor
There are a variety reasons people prefer disposable razors. They are meant to be an easy choice and option for people who do not want to spend a lot on their morning shave. The reasons for choosing disposables are:
- Easy to use for newcomers to shaving.
- Zero maintenance or upkeep, as each blade is meant to be used and disposed.
- They are extremely cheap and easy to purchase
- Can be ordered online, and shipped to your house
- Provide a good shave with low costs.
Disadvantages of Disposable Razor
While the advantages of disposable razors are many there are also several things that make them a bad purchase. Some reasons for why disposable razors are not a good buy are:
- The blades and handle are made from cheap materials, making your shave less pleasant. More irritation and nicks and cuts.
- The cost efficiency while greatly reduced is still abundantly more over the long run. While other razor types have more upkeep they also save you a lot of money over a long time period.
- Disposable razors are made from an injection molded polycarbonate and the headpieces are not recyclable. This means the burden on the environment is vast. Most handles are made to be recycled but it depends on the user, so a lot of the handles end up in trash. Remember plastic lasts a thousand years in nature.
Disposable Razors and You
There is a variety of reasons to like and hate disposable razors, but what do they mean to you. If you are on a tight budget then the expensive cartridges for cartridge razors are out of the question. You can also add straight razors, safety razors, shavettes and electric razors to that list, because they all require a small investment in the beginning and for upkeep. Disposable razors are the cheapest one-time investment of all the available offerings.
For rest of the shavers, the long-term costs on the wallet and planet make disposable razors a bad choice. So, it is important you do the research and invest the time to figure out which one of the choices works best for you. If you want the best shave with least hassle then one of the choices above is right for you.