Whether you are shaving for the first time or the thousandth time you have your preferences in the tools and products you use. For fans of wet shaving there is some must-haves. These items are crucial to every shaver. Whether you prefer the ease of cartridge razors or love the control and close shave of a straight razor, there are a collection of items you need. The combination of these items is called your shaving kit.
What is a Shaving Kit
A shaving kit is the mandatory instruments and products a person has for their shaving routine. Usually sold with a bag to contain all the products inside, this kit is a man’s best friend when he is on the road. Every company includes a wide range of products inside to give you a great shave and nourish the skin that is being shaved.
Shaving kits can be created by you or purchased premade. This is completely up to the person and their preferences. It is important to make sure that you pick the right products for your needs, skin, and shave. Some people have sensitive skin and need to pick items that best fit their skin type. Others want their shaving kits to be airplane ready, meaning the items inside are ready to travel in any carry-on without getting stuck at security. It all depends on what you want.
What is in a Shaving Kit
When it comes to the contents of your shaving kit, the choices are nearly endless. There are few basics that almost all shaving kits include, but the variety of pre and post shave products are based on your wants and wishes. Here is a list of items that you will need to make your very own custom shaving kit.
- Razor: stick to what you know and love, this can be a straight razor, a safety razor, a shavette, or a cartridge razor (most people do not take a shaving kit for disposable razors). While most experts swear by the straight razor this choice is completely up to you.
- Replacement Blades: This is for the people who use safety razors and shavettes. The blade can dull at any moment so it is crucial when you want your kit to deliver for the entire trip.
- Pre-shave Oil/Balm/Cream: this item adds a layer of protection for the skin. Not only that, it also gives you a way to soften the hairs on your face thus making your shave a more enjoyable experience.
- Shaving Soap/Cream/Foam/Gel: This Is a crucial part of any shave. The product of your choice will be responsible for lathering up your face and protecting your skin from the irritation and cuts and nicks of shaving. The correct product can nurture the skin and hair follicles while providing a safer shave.
- A shaving brush: this one is for the people who choose shaving soaps for their razor aid. A good brush can soften and raise the hairs allowing the razor to get as close to the skin as possible.
- Aftershave: this is also another must have. A good aftershave can leave you feeling fresh, clean, and smelling great. This product is applied immediately after the shave and rinse and reduces the feeling of irritation and most have a truly great scent as a plus.
Most shaving kits consists of these 6 items, but each person can compile their shaving kit with the products of their choice. When you are making your shaving kit, remember that you know your skin best, and each person’s shaving routine is different. Do not let some company tell you what you should use, but instead do your research and find the items that are best for your time and personal requirements.